At Mt. Lebanon United Methodist Church, music is at the heart of our worship. Our vocalists, organist, handbell choirs and instrumentalists offer anthems that brighten our sanctuary and enrich our services. We are currently seeking a versatile and experienced Director of Music to lead the various components of our music ministry. The Director of Music position can be filled in one of two ways:
- one full-time position encompassing all of the responsibilities outlined below
- two part-time positions split between the organist/accompanist and the conductor that share the responsibilities outlined below
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Choose choral music, hymns and service music for traditional Sunday morning worship in collaboration with the senior pastor and based on the lectionary texts or pastor’s focus for the day.
- Prepare the adult and youth choirs to sing in worship with excellence through weekly rehearsals.
- Support volunteer handbell choir director with the expectation to assume bell choir responsibility when current director retires.
- Support volunteer children’s choir director with the possibility to assume children’s choir responsibility when current director retires.
- Provide organ music for two Sunday services (8:30am and 10:45am), additional services, weddings and funerals (wedding/funeral compensation is independent of church salary).
- Provide leadership for the choirs as director/accompanist. When appropriate, arrange for and prepare volunteer and/or professional conductors/accompanists.
- Submit service music titles and selections for timely inclusion in the Sunday bulletin.
- Work with communications office regarding publicity for noteworthy events presented by the music ministry.
- Serve as an ex officio member of Church Council and Worship Advisory Team to advise our lay leadership on matters pertaining to music ministry.
- Provide for proper care of the organ and pianos, including a Steinway grand piano in our sanctuary. The organ is a 1953 Aeolian-Skinner with 46 ranks, restored in 2009 by the Muller Pipe Organ Co. The 4-manual Austin console was updated to solid-state control and made moveable.
- Provide for the proper care of the choir robes.
- Provide for the proper care and ordering of choral music and maintenance of the music library.
- Manage Friends of Music fund and music budget.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Collaborate and cooperate with the modern worship service music leader as needed.
- Hire musicians for special services.
- Arrange for substitute organist/choir director when necessary.
- Maintain relationships with neighboring churches and music directors.
- 5+ years of experience as music director/choral director/conductor, preferably in a church setting.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Excellent keyboard skills, musicianship, conducting, and choral skills.
- Ability to recruit, develop and motivate a team of diverse and dedicated singers and instrumentalists, both professionals and volunteers.
- Familiarity with the United Methodist liturgy and church calendar.
For an overview of our worship and music ministries, see http://www.mlumc.org/our-ministry/worship-through-music.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, and be sure to indicate whether you are interested in full-time or part-time employment.
Deadline to apply: May 1, 2020
Anticipated start date: September 1, 2020